Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Don't Ignore Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer

I think it is important to revisit some of the articles that I shared when I started this blog.  It is imperative that we spread the word about Ovarian Cancer and the symptoms (or lack thereof) associated with this horrible disease. Please review the symptoms again, if you haven't already, and talk to your doctor if you have any symptoms or even if you are worried that something may be wrong. It is always better to talk to a doctor than to wait and not do anything.


The scientists always call Ovarian Cancer the silent cancer or the cancer that "whispers".  We learned the hard way.  My mom knew something was wrong and kept going to doctors for six long months to get tests and find out the reason she didn't feel well.  All the doctors said not to worry and it there wasn't a problem.  She was dismissed by the doctors that she had been seeing.


One morning in May 2008, she was watching "The View" on TV and someone spoke about the symptoms of Ovarian Cancer and she sat up and said "those are my symptoms".  She immediately called the doctor and told them she thought she had ovarian cancer and wanted to be tested.

After what seemed like a lifetime of running tests (blood tests, ultrasounds, etc.), it was confirmed that she did have the disease.  Unfortunately, she was told by the doctors that she only had three to four months to live - six months at the most. 

I want to give you a list of the symptoms.  They seem like symptoms that any woman can have for any reason, but you want to listen to your body.  Don't delay in talking to your doctor if you are having any of the symptoms, especially if they are getting worse.

Warning Signs:
Persistent indigestion, gas or nausea
Loss of appetite or feeling full quickly
Pelvic discomfort or pain
Lack of energy
Abdominal pressure, fullness or bloating
Constipation and/or increased frequency of urination
Low back pain

These are not all the warning signs, but they are important signs to recognize.  Please take the time to listen to your body when it speaks to you.

Ovarian Cancer One Sheet

Print out this sheet courtesy of Dr. Oz and NOCC and take it with you to your next GYN appointment.  It's a great starting point.

My mom wasn't diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer until it was in Stage IV. She was misdiagnosed for almost a year. Don't wait. If you have symptoms, talk to your doctor sooner rather than later.  Print it HERE.

3 comments:

  1. following! :) Yes please get awareness out. I just lost a dear dear friend of family to ovarian cancer originally but it spread everywhere and she passed away in january =[

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment and follow. I'm sorry for your loss, it seems to spread quickly and we lose our loved ones way too fast.

      I am trying to keep up with this blog as much as I can because I think it is a worthy cause and because I know that's what my mom would have wanted.

      Delete
  2. I am a 3+ o.c.(IIC) survivor who had one symptom...the bloated abdomen! I have a book "Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir" that was written to educate and inspire women. I invite you to follow my weekly blog: www.outshineovariancancer.blogspot.com.
    Thank you for all you are doing too. The more of us who speak out, the better for everyone.
    God bless you and I am so sorry about the passing of your mother.

    ReplyDelete