Saturday, September 10, 2011

More About Mom

Sorry I've been offline for a few weeks. I'm back now and we're still in the beginning of September so remember the entire month is dedicated to Ovarian Cancer Awareness. Do your part to bring awareness to everyone you know.

Whether it is through your teal toes or your teal shirt - know that I appreciate everything you are doing to raise awareness. It is exactly how my mom would have wanted it.

Back to my mom. It has been a while since I've talked about her and I want to share her stories with you. September 2nd would have been my mom's 59th birthday. It is just weird to look at that "would have been". I hate that this horrible disease took her too soon. 

My mom lived through a lot in her 58 years. She was married to my dad for 19 years before he passed away. He had a heart attack at 39 and passed away at 41. She was too young to be a widow. She had a grown daughter (me) and 2 very small children (ages 5, my brother & 6, my sister). She struggled to find herself in the years that followed and was in a dysfunctional relationship for most of 10 years.

Like I said in earlier posts, she knew something was wrong when she was 55 and it took until she was 56 to be diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. She had a total hysterectomy and when the doctors did the surgery they found the tumors had spread to her colon and intestines. When she woke from her surgery, she found she had a colostomy bag. This really didn't make her happy at all..that's all we heard about for months. But, I was happy to have my mom for as long as I could keep her.

I will share more of her story soon. I miss her so much and I'm getting a little overwhelmed at the outpouring of love, friendship and the little things that add up to huge things. Thank you to everyone for your support in my endeavor to bring awareness to everyone. Much love. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment